By early 2015, we were visiting our oldest daughter and her
family in Kansas City Missouri and decided to all go to an RV dealer there.
When we told the sales guy what we were planning, he immediately directed us to
a Rockwood Signature 5th wheel. We had told him we wanted something
small and this was only 32 feet long but it was HUGE! I kept telling the
salesman that I didn’t want anything that large! It was massive!! We went
inside and I kept saying, “No! This isn’t at all what we want! This is way too
huge!!!” I was very upset and overwhelmed and could not imagine buying or
pulling anything so monstrous! We left and I never wanted to see anything like
that again!
But, we were soon looking at 5th wheels. I had read a
lot about 5th wheels and that they are much easier to pull and
control since they are attached in the bed of the truck and had a lot more storage. Soon, I was getting
pulled into the world of 5th wheels. I was reading every blog I
could find about small 5th wheels.
Gradually, Tom and I began talking about traveling for a
year instead of just 6 months. Then we began to see how expensive it would be
to keep a house that we did not plan to live in so, why not sell the house when
we retire? We talked about buying a house in Kansas City that we would come
home to after we are done traveling. Well, that plan didn’t last long. Why would we pay for a house, maintenance, utilities as it sits empty. Soon
we were talking about selling our house and not buying a house until we
actually stopped traveling… and soon we were talking about living full time in
our 5th wheel for a year, or 2 years, or 5 years…
We have read a lot about the staggering number of people who
travel full time in their RV’s. We began to follow blogs and researched
Escapees Club, Passport to America, Good Sam’s, etc. What a great adventure we
were on! This was an exciting world of travel! We could go wherever we wanted
to go, get up and go somewhere else whenever we wanted to. We decided we needed
a 5th wheel that could keep up with our constant travel and wear and
tear, so it had to be very well built. But also, it had to be able to withstand
the extreme temperatures. We came to learn that the term for that is a “Four
Season” 5th wheel. We also
learned that some manufactures say they are 4-season but there are lots of
degrees of 4-season!
We were on a roll! We began to put together our
Bucket-list!! Alaska! Salmon fishing, Fly fishing, deep-water fishing, bears,
moose, mountains, streams, lakes, wildflowers, glaciers. Newfoundland and
Labrador! Northern Lights, kayaking with icebergs, quaint villages in the bay,
whales, puffins, history etc. The list began to grow almost daily!
No comments:
Post a Comment