July has been a busy month for us as Tom recovers from open heart surgery! Our life revolves around Cardio Rehab 3 days a week, YMCA workouts 4 days a week, blood draws once a week and doctor appointments. He's slowly but consistently getting stronger. His medication levels have been great. His blood pressure was low once so we have to watch that but other than that, he's doing great! Unlike most people who undergo open heart surgery, Tom has no history of heart disease, no cholesterol issues, no blockages etc. His Aorta was enlarged and ready to burst. He's just the lucky soul who got the enlarged aorta!
On June 30th, he was finally allowed to sit in the front seat! The doctor said if an airbag hit his chest, it would alter his sternum and they would not be able to fix it. So, he graduated to the front seat finally!! Then on July 4th, he drove for the first time!
In our free time during July:
We have arranged to have some warranty work completed on Honalee, locally. We have taken day trips to see things we have never seen before, right here in Kansas! One morning we ate breakfast at a nearby Blackberry farm with Joe and Bobbi . We see movies during the day when everyone else is at work! We have learned more and more about Honalee and feel more confident in how to take care of our new home and the tricks to maintaining it. I'm getting used to the kitchen appliances and have been baking more. I have been crocheting and reading which has been nice. Toward the end of July, Tom got private instruction on fly fishing and finally bought a fly fishing pole and reel. We also attended the Wichita Music Theater at the invite of Larry and Donna. We saw a great musical, the Hunchback of Notre Dame. We have had wonderful dinners with Joe and Sheryle and spontaneous meetings with Joe and Bobbi. I have also done some sewing and made another tablecloth for the kitchen table.
It's taking some time to get used to not working. I still feel like I'm just taking some time off to take care of Tom. When I wake up in the mornings I feel like I have to get going, get to work. I'm working on being more relaxed and enjoying our time together without feeling like we have to hurry and squeeze it all in quickly. Relaxing into retirement is harder than you might think!
We were supposed to fly to Los Angeles to my uncle's 90th birthday celebration. But, since Tom had surgery, we were unable to attend. They are so special to me. As my own family fell apart, my aunt and uncle stepped in and became my family. I love them all! Here they are at the birthday celebration! Mary Kay and her daughter Sara (a recent high school graduate) stopped overnight on their way to Los Angles and it was so good to see them! So good to spend time with them!
 |
Cousin Ken, Aunt Mary Louise, Uncle Malcolm,
cousins Eric and Mary Kay |
We drove to Maxwell Wildlife Refuge on a beautiful morning in the Flint Hills of Kansas. Buffalo, flowers and a beautiful prairie views with friends Joe and Bobbi.
I drove us to Kansas City Missouri for a few days over my birthday. We had such a great time visiting the grand kids and Tom really enjoyed getting out of town for a bit!!
Haley is growing up so fast and is a very special young teen. As I recall, 13 is a hard age to be! At 13, you are trying to figure out the world, how the world works and how you fit into the world! She has a great sense of humor, is kind to others and loves school. She is very active in student council. She is also planning to go with her school on a trip to Italy and Greece next summer!! She's busy cat sitting and trying to earn spending money for the trip.
Drew is funny, ornery and loves sports, especially baseball! He is so knowledgeable about all the teams, players and stats. How does he know all of that information??? He's amazing!
Parker is just Parker! She is learning new words and putting 2-5 words together! She knows what she wants and and what she doesn't want! She'll be two years old next month and acts like a two year old in every way!
 |
| Water fun! |
 |
| Drew and his water slide. |
 |
| Typical 13 year old all plugged in! |
 |
| Baby play! |
 |
| Drew, Parker and Max |
The family surprised me with a birthday brunch on the front lawn of the Nelson-Akins Museum. It was a beautiful, perfect morning with the ones I love (minus Karis!!)!






We went back to Missouri to babysit Parker in late July. Because Sasha and Ryan are school administrators, they had to start work in late July. Parker's regular babysitter works on a teacher schedule so they were without a sitter for awhile. Grandparents to the rescue!! We went to the YMCA, to the Library for story time, Barnes and Noble to pick out a Grover book. We put puzzles together, read books and baked a birthday cake for her mommy and daddy!
 |
| All her babies went "night-night"! |
 |
| Library play time! |
 |
| She loves her babies! |
 |
| Grandma and grandpa time! |
 |
| Birthday celebration! |
Tom is doing so well!! On July 30th he was 8 weeks out from having open heart surgery and he's been so faithful to do exactly what the doctors and therapists have told him to do. For two months he has gone to Cardio Rehab 3 days a week and to the YMCA 4 days a week. His reward for all his hard work.... A Certificate of Completion from Cardio Rehab!
Then, at his late July Cardiology appointment, the cardiologist said he was doing so well, he didn't want to see him again for 6 months! To quote the cardiologist, "Go live your life!" And so, on July 30th, he FINALLY got to get back on his bike and went riding with his buddies, Joe and Joe. They rode only 12 miles but Tom said he kept up fine and could have gone further. He said he felt fine! It was a beautiful morning and he was really floating on air!
 |
| First Bike Ride! |
So, Tom will return to work for the month of August and then retire... again... on August 30th.
I'm not sure what I will do all day while he's at work... I've never experienced this! For one month Tom will be working and I'll be on my own. Sounds wonderful! But, what to do all day!??! I had a dream last night that I went to work and sat down at my desk and then realized I didn't work there any longer.
No comments:
Post a Comment