Friday, January 5, 2018

December in Northern Missouri

Many of our friends and family have wondered how we could possibly travel full time and still have time to see family and friends. So far, it has worked out fine. We spent 7 weeks near Washington DC and spent lots of time with our daughter Karis. Then we dropped in on friends in Kansas for one day. Then on to Missouri for the entire month of December to be near our daughter Sasha and her family, including 3 grand-kids! It's do-able!

In early December, the weather was unseasonably warm in KC MO so we had two days of great "Four-Square" weather! Grandma can hold her own with these two!! We could play for hours! These two are so much fun! We had such a great time being silly together.

FUN DECEMBER MOMENTS WITH THE KIDS:
It MOOSE be Christmas!!
A favorite place of ours in Platte City!
Great coffee and breakfast.

We all stopped at the Parkhill School District Central office to see
Haley's artwork on display!
Karis and the afghan I crocheted for her!
It was supposed to be done for her last summer, then her fall birthday,
then Thanksgiving but finally finished for Christmas!
Parker and Max


MERRY CHRISTMAS TO US!
Tom and I have been researching kayaks for a long time. We decided not to purchase hard kayaks because we would have to carry them on the top of the cap of the truck. How in the world would we be able to lift them that high? We saw a demonstration of inflatable kayaks at the RV-Dreams Rally in Tennessee and decided that was what we needed. They are very sturdy and stiff once inflated but also fold up relatively small so we can store them in the bed of the truck. Quality was what we were after. Soon after arriving at Sasha's, my kayak arrived!! LOVE IT!! Can't wait to get out on some water when we go to Texas in February. Tom's kayak is a tandem kayak which means that he can operate it himself or we can both use it, depending on our needs. Because he's so much taller, he really needed a longer one than I did.

SASHA AND RYAN'S SECOND HONEYMOON TO PORTLAND OREGON:
A week after arriving in Kansas City Missouri, Sasha and Ryan flew to Portland Oregon for a much needed get away.... no children, no work phones, no demands.... just the two of them. They haven't gone away together since their honeymoon over 4 years ago. Of course we were happy they were leaving.... because we got to spend 3.5 beautiful days with little Parker. What a joy she is! I think because she has two older siblings, she is talking more than most toddlers who are 27 months old. She speaks in very long and very complete sentences. She connects thoughts and understands more than we realize. She has begun to turn sentences around ... Example: I say to her, "Where are you going?" and she used to say, "Parker going outside.". NOW, she says, "I'm going outside." She is using pronouns all the time now! She isn't even 2 1/2 yet and she can count to 10 and sing her ABC's. Recently she walked up to a mirror and said, "I'm back!" What a hoot! I never thought I would be one of "those" grandparents who always brag about their grand-kids.... oops!

 She missed her mommy and daddy but was a trooper and we had lots of giggles, cuddles and fun times!
She likes her bath water different colors... tonight it's blue!
Almost asleep!
Sasha asked us to take her to the local library for story time with Santa and Mrs. Clause. So, we dressed her up in her holiday clothes. We talked with her about going to the library and meeting Santa etc. Once there, she was very timid and shy. The entire time, her eyes were red and she looked like she was on the verge of crying. But, once we got to the front of the line she was great! She agreed to sit on Mrs, Clause's lap (a wise choice) and grandpa snapped her photo. She was so proud of herself!!
Listening to Santa read a book.
Waiting in line to see Santa.

While we were having fun with Parker, Sasha and Ryan were enjoying themselves in Oregon. They toured 5 wineries and participated in a lot of wine tastings. One day they drove to the ocean!!
Mt. Hood in the background. Wine country of Oregon.
At the ocean on the Oregon coast.
When Sasha and Ryan flew into KC MO, Parker was waiting at the gate and was so excited that mommy and daddy were coming home. She kept looking and looking as the passengers exited but mommy and daddy were almost the last ones to exit. Finally she saw her daddy and she screamed, "DADDY!" and ran (in her toddler-run style: stiff legs and arms flailing) into her daddy's arms!!

HALEY'S PERFORMANCES!
While in Missouri, we were so fortunate to attend a Holiday Choir Concert that Haley was in. She participated in both the 8th grade choir and Honors Choir. She had a speaking part and was also in a group of 5 who did rhythmic rap.
Second from the left in front
Another evening, we got to attend Haley's dance performances. She has been in dance for 11 years and loves it! She loves music and dancing.

HALEY HAS A SLEEPOVER WITH NONI AND POPPY!
It was an evening full of fun when Haley came to the campground to have a sleepover with Noni and Poppy! We ate pizza, made Christmas cookies, painted rocks and watched a movie! She's a terrific 13 (almost 14) year old! Love this girl!
Of course, getting her up the next morning was a challenge. 
We had a great time! We enjoy being around her so much!
MY MOM
I only call my mom about once a month and during one of those calls, she said she wanted to come to Sasha's house before Christmas so she could see everyone. Our family is very broken. My older brother and I have not talked with my looser younger brother and his family for over 11 years due to his predatory behaviors. Mom has always sided with him and feels sorry for him.

She purchased her ticket and she came for 5 days. I was still getting over a cold and was not up to speed myself. However, I was shocked to see the decline in her. She could hardly take a step and was very off-balanced. I asked her where her walker was, or her cane. She did not bring either of them with her and said she didn't need them. She laughed and said she was fine. I went to CVS and bought her a cane.

Her shoes are old and loose. She said she forgot to bring any other shoes with her. Her ankles kept turning and her feet fell out of her shoes. She lost her balance several times and thankfully we caught her. Haley and I went to DSW and bought her new shoes that fit and tie.

One morning she woke up and came to the kitchen with a terrified look on her face. She said something was wrong. I asked her what was wrong. She said she didn't know. She turned and searched my face and finally said, "You are Kathie, right?" Later I asked her if she knew where she was and she said she thought she was on vacation somewhere. She sat down and said she was sure she needed to take some medications but didn't know where they might be.

During these 5 days she has told us that she was pulled over by the police for weaving in and out of lanes and driving too slow. At one point she couldn't remember her sister and brother in-law, couldn't remember  her grandchildren's names and thought she was in St. Charles, Illinois.

I have discussed with her the need to always use a cane or walker. We have talked about her needing more care and perhaps needing to move someplace where she can get more care. She refuses and says that my unscrupulous younger brother, who lives near her, says she is fine. Finally, as always, I have to let go. She made the decision years ago to live near this younger brother and has always refused any suggestions from my older brother or I. I told mom that I was afraid that someday, she will hurt herself or someone else by not using safety measures and continuing to drive. In the end, it's between my younger brother and my mom. I have to let it go. Que Sera Sera!

After picking mom up at the airport, we swung by the campground to show her our home, Honalee. With assistance and some support, she made it up the stairs but collapse onto the floor as she got to the top step. She wasn't hurt but she couldn't figure out how to get back up. We finally got her up and then she looked around. She said she loved it and asked a lot of questions.
Parker got the giggles with great grandma!
Four Generations

MEETING UP WITH OLD FRIENDS!
From 1980 to 1993 I worked as the social worker at a group home for teen girls in Wichita, Kansas. During that time I worked closely with 3 different sets of houseparents who lived at the group home 80% of the time. One of those couples was Marty and Spence and their teenage daughter Leta. Poor Leta lived with her parents in the group home and had very different rules than the other girls. I imagine it was a difficult time for her. While Marty and Spence were houseparents, we went through some very stressful times together. The minister at the local Methodist Church sexually abused one of our teen girls. Through lots of court hearings, criminal and civil suits, we supported each other. I respect them so much! Well, now Marty and Spence are 75 and 80 years old respectively. They were in the Kansas City area to visit their adult daughter Leta and her family so we met up. So wonderful to visit with them!! They are such compassionate and loving people. I have great memories of our working together!

The only reason we connected up again is because Leta is a school nurse at an elementary school in Kansas City. One day she overheard the principal of the school talking about his wife, Sasha and her sister Karis. Leta said, "I know a social worker who worked in Wichita at a group home and she has daughters named Sasha and Karis!" And so, we discovered that my son in-law is Leta's school principal!! Small world!
Leta, Spencer and Marty.
And on a side note.... while we were waiting at the restaurant for Leta, Marty and Spence, suddenly a woman appeared and began hugging me briskly.... at first I didn't know who it was! Well, turned out it was Tiffany and her husband Marty, good friends of Karis'! In fact they had just spent the evening with Karis the night before!! Once I realized who it was, I couldn't stop hugging them! I really miss them! We've known them several years... we remember when they were just meeting each other and dating! They are such fun and happy people! Love being around them and so good to see them!
Marty and Tiffany
CHRISTMAS CELEBRATION
We had a wonderful low-key Christmas with just our immediate family. Karis flew in for a whole week!! It was nice. We also cut back on the gifting!! We drew names and set a dollar limit! It was much better this year!

We also spent a couple great evenings with Tom's brother Bob and sister in-law Karen. We played some competitive games of Taboo!! The day after Christmas, Bob made his famous Egg Rolls!! Yummy!

This is my family! I love them so much!
And this is a better representation of my wonderful family!
DREW HAS A SLEEPOVER WITH NONI AND POPPY!
Drew's turn to sleepover at Noni and Poppy's. He was so excited! He got to choose what we had for dinner and he of course chose Culver's, complete with Mint Chocolate Chip ice cream!

Drew chose to watch Star Wars: The Emperor Strikes Back! He loved the bed we made for him! 

Drew's wish came true the next morning since he woke to lot's of snow! He loved it and immediately wanted to go outside! Drew is so much fun to be around! He is 10 years old in every way and we loved our time with him!

THE DOWN SIDE OF RV LIFE!
Just like a home, sometimes, thing go wrong. I remember one Thanksgiving that our water line got stopped up with roots. We had to have someone come out and clean out the line. Another holiday, the electricity went off. So, living in a 5th wheel is no different.

One night, the furnace suddenly stopped working. It was 20 degrees outside! By morning, it was 47 inside. Tom called the RV mobile tech but he was booked up for two days. He gave Tom a few suggestions and said to call if none worked. Well, it worked but gradually the furnace would only run for 10 to 15 minutes at a time and then suddenly shut down. Each time it shut off, Tom had to go outside to turn it on again. He did this 6-7 times a night for two nights until the tech could get to us. Normally I would share this duty with him but I was still getting over my cold and Tom insisted that he do it. REALLY! We finally got it figures out and all is well.

When I was in Costco, I saw a very small Vornado heater! I thought it would be perfect for the bedroom. Turns out, it IS perfect!! Since our furnace does not do a very good job of heating the bedroom, this perfects it! AND, during the day, we point it toward the living area and it circulates the air so the whole 5th wheel is the same temperature. Perfect solution!

In late December, the temperatures remained unseasonably cold. For a couple weeks, it got down to -9 degrees at night with only single digit highs. One day, we left for Sasha's house and forgot to keep some water dripping. All our water froze up and we had no water. We have an electric heated water hose and even it froze up. The campground water also froze but they were able to fix it. We used a hair dryer and froze our butts off trying to thaw everything. We finally were able to get water running in the bathroom sink and shower. We ended up renting a kerosene heater and thawing out the small area that frozen and we were back in business!

DECEMBER SUMMARY:
When I got married and we began having children, my only goal was to raise them better than I was raised. Our #1 job was to raise these children the very best we knew how. This included instilling them with joy, integrity, responsibility, generosity and love for all. I think it's so important for each generation to raise up the next generation so that we are constantly improving and growing as people. I look around our family and I think we have succeeded!

We had spent a lot of time near Karis on the east coast and now we had spent several weeks with our other daughter! The best part was spending quality one on one time with each grand child. We got to know them better and could truly see what great kids they really are. We are also happy that we were able to give Sasha and Ryan time together. They were able to go to Christmas Parties, out with friends, date night, long weekend in Oregon etc. We helped with laundry, meals etc. They have such a busy life with 3 kids, both working full time and not much extra time for themselves. I'm glad we were able to lighten their load for a bit.

We are heading south soon, but even the south is getting hit with weird cold weather.

2 comments:

Karen said...

Wow! Exciting life! So sorry about your troubles! You do have have awesome children and grandchildren! We made the blog! Love you lots!

Sasha said...

Great summary of our fun times! We love you!