Friday, November 1, 2013

Our future ... down the road

We have been dreaming and thinking some more about our future. If Tom quits after the age of 60, his employer will pay for health insurance for Tom and I. That is such a huge benefit. His employer has been talking about eliminating this benefit but so far, it’s still intact. This started a conversation about quitting our jobs early and traveling the USA and Canada for 6 months. This is a huge appeal to me!! I love this idea! I apparently took off on this idea and within a few months we were talking about quitting our jobs at age 60. However, we soon learned that we would need to have an income! Imagine that! We have invested money but we don’t want to touch that until we are older. So, we began talking about quitting our jobs when Tom turns 62.

We attended a meeting about Social Security that our Financial Planner hosted. We came away from that meeting deciding that it would be best if we took my social security and left Tom’s to accumulate. This means we would have to change our plans again and not retire until I turned 62. So now we are looking at retirement June 30th, 2017

Wouldn’t it be fun to travel for 6 months in a little Teardrop? Or Casita? Or a little Bambi Airstream? We were dreaming!!

No comments: